Here is an easy tutorial on making cute fall place mats:
1. 1 Cheeky Pumpkin panel (prewash these since they will be used and washed a lot)
2. 3/4 yard coordinating fabric
3. 1-1/8 yard fabric for the back of the place mats. This may be fall fabric or may be Thanksgiving fabric, or even Christmas fabric.
4. 3/4 yard of fabric for binding (approximately 8 yards of finished binding needed)
5. Batting, Stiff Stuff by Sew Lazy, or Foam such as Soft ‘n Stable for the inside of the place mats
Cutting and Sewing directions:
6. Cut 1/4 inch away from the edges of the 6 pumpkin panels
From coordinating fabric:
7. Cut 4 width of fabric strips 4 inches wide. Sub-cut into lengths 12 inches long by 4 inches.
8. Cut 6 strips 1-1/2 inches wide. Sub-cut in half to be 1-1/2 x 20 inches.
9. Sew the 4 x 12 inch fabric to the left and right of each pumpkin square. Press and trim to match width of the square.
10. Sew the 1-1/2 inch strips to the top and bottom of the square. Press and trim to make a rectangle.
11. Layer with a stiff product such as Sew Lazy “Stiff Stuff”, batting, or foam such as Soft ‘n Stable.
12. Layer with backing fabric. Adhesive or pins may be used to hold the pieces together.
13. Quilt along the piecing lines if desired. Zig zag stitch along the outside edge.
14. Bind using machine if stiff interfacing was used. I sewed mine to the front and pulled to the back. I pressed the binding into place from the front and back and secured each side using the Clover binding clips and stitching in the ditch from the front.
Here is the finished place mat. Love it!
If you enjoyed this post, please let me know!